Mom. There are no words that truly reflect everything she means to us. So, we look forward to showing her how much we love and appreciate her with special Mother’s Day Gifts. From pampering presents to indulgent treats to homemade delights, we’ve narrowed down a sweet selection of eco-friendly, socially minded, and beautifully designed goods. Happy Mother’s Day to all moms, grandmas, moms-to-be, and caregivers!
1. From one mom to another, Jessica Alba shares her tips and tricks for creating a healthy and stylish home. A go-to guide, The Honest Life is perfect for new moms as they seek to create a safe space for their little ones without sacrificing color, fashion, and fun.
2. Isn’t Mother’s Day all about spoiling your mom? Treat her to this indulgent Pampering Collection, so she can enjoy a spa-like escape at home.
3. For the chic mom-on-the-go, these cool Knockaround sunglasses in matte tortoise shell will be an instant classic that she can’t live without.
4. Pretty and modern? Check. This handmade white succulent sculpture by Waterstone Succulents (sold via B Corp Etsy) is a stand-out alternative to flowers that will delight for years to come—no green thumb required.
5. A DIY gift often proves to be mom’s favorite because of the love and care that went into making it. Try this simple and budget-friendly sugar scrub made from natural ingredients found at home.
6. Upload your favorite Instagram images and create a treasured book for your mom that captures your family’s unforgettable moments. She won’t put down this re-imagined photo album by Artifact Uprising.
7. Luxurious and eco-friendly makeup brushes from Eco Tools will leave your mom looking flawless and feeling pampered.
8. The sculptural Eau Good Water Bottle, which is BPA free and provides natural filtering, will look beautiful displayed on mom’s desk—making even the mundane feel special.
9. Let your mom know how sweet she is with a great assortment of Nunu Chocolates that are totally natural and handmade from sustainably harvested ingredients.
10. Give mom a gift that gives back with this lovely Poppy Necklace, benefiting The Gorjana and Griffin Foundation and The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation (or support other charitable causes with these beautiful jewelry designs).
What are you surprising the moms in your life with on May 12th?
1. KEEP AN EYE ON THE KIDDOS. Holiday time is ripe with small objects strewn around the house. Decorations, wrapping paper, small toy parts, coins, and hard candy can easily be scooped up by a toddler and pose a choking hazard. Loose strands of lights, ribbons, and cords longer than 7” present a strangulation risk, while broken ornament shards can cut bare feet. Secure decorations so they are out of the reach of babies and young children, and keep an eye on them when enjoying the festive family room.
2. FIRE PROOF. Watch out for frayed wires, broken sockets, or loose connections on holiday lights. A couple of sparks on a dry tree and you could have an out of control fire before you know it—make sure to purchase a fresh tree with green, sturdy, and pliable needles and keep the stand filled with water. Hang decorations away from heat sources, such as fireplaces and heating vents. Don’t overload circuits. And while the warm glow looks pretty through the window, don’t leave candles burning in the house when you go to sleep (opt for candles that are not made from petroleum paraffin wax that emit toxic fumes and smoke).
3. COOK SMART. Entertaining at home or cooking with the kids? Ensure that lasting memories are made by keeping hot pots on the back burners of the stove to avoid accidental spills, scalding water, steam, and flames. Watch out for raw meat cross-contamination—wash hands and surfaces well before and after coming in contact with the food. Don’t be afraid to point guests to the living room so you can focus on cooking safely in the kitchen.
4. PLANT DANGER. It turns out all those pretty plants everyone decorates with for Christmas are poisonous if eaten. Mistletoe, holly, poinsettias, and Jerusalem cherry plants should be away from little ones and pets. For a poison emergency in the U.S., call 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers).
5. TOY SAFETY. It would seem if a store is selling a toy, then it’s safe. But that’s not always true. Sometimes toys have been recalled and stores may not be aware yet. If something seems loose or especially shoddy, investigate the latest toy recalls at the Consumer Product Safety Commission for the most recent updates.
6. PARTY PUNCH. Little kids and alcohol is not a combo that usually comes to mind. Believe it or not, alcohol poisoning is one of the leading reasons for children’s hospital visits over the holidays. With drinks that look kid-friendly, like spiked punch and Eggnog, little ones can easily mistake them as safe for consumption. And as curious eaters, kids often sample unattended and leftover alcoholic beverages sitting around the house during and after parties.
7. BUCKLE UP. Traveling for the holidays? Make sure all your car seats and boosters are installed properly. Even if it’s a short trip in a friend’s car, always buckle in the kids properly. Everyone is rushing around this time of year and it only takes a split second for an accident to occur.
8. STAY HEALTHY. Remind everyone to wash hands A LOT. The last thing you want is a winter cold going around your house. Don’t force kids to hug or kiss every visitor that walks in the door. Teach kids it’s best to cough or sneeze into their elbow not their hands. Well, a tissue would be best but we all know those aren’t always available.
9. SNOW WISE. It could be a white Christmas this year and, if so, that means fun in the snow. If the kids plan on sledding down a steep hill, have them wear helmets just like when they ride their bikes.
10. THE YEARLY TEST. It’s the perfect time of year to check and replace all the safety gadgets around your house like smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and house alarms. Make sure everything has batteries and is working correctly. It’s a great habit to get into so you can take it off your list as you enter the New Year.
~ Jill Besnoy
In the spirit of the holidays, we want to celebrate friends, family, and community with gifts that give back. With the purchase of the great presents below, you’ll bring cheer to your loved ones and make a difference in the lives of others because a portion of the proceeds go to deserving charities.
1. When you purchase a Bundle Gift Subscription (or any other items), Honest donates time, money, and products to its charitable partner Baby2Baby, which supplies essential baby gear and children’s clothing to families in need.
2. With every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of shoes to a child in need.
3. These fashionable and practical FEED bags—made using environmentally friendly and artisan-made materials, along with fair-labor production—help feed the world.
4. Give your friend the key to inspiration with a handmade and inscribed necklace from The Giving Keys, which employs those transitioning out of homelessness.
5. For the animal and nature lover in your life, adopt a wild animal through the World Wildlife Fund to protect the species and the planet.
7. Give the gift of vision with these iconic and eco-friendly Panda Sunglasses—with each purchase a person in need will receive an eye or medical exam (those with cataracts or a similar type of eye deficiency will also receive pair of prescription glasses or sunglasses).
8. Fight poverty with fashion by giving chic and comfy Roma Boots. For each pair sold, another pair is donated to a child in need + 10% of all sales proceeds goes to the Roma For All Foundation which is dedicated to education and empowering children to break the cycle of poverty.
What charities do you love to support during the holidays and throughout the year?
Stocking stuffers, although small, often prove to be some of the best surprises. Because kids and adults can’t wait to find what treasures await them on Christmas morning, we’ve found a great selection of luxe, eco-friendly, and tasty treats that won’t disappoint.
1. Honest’s Organic Lip Balm Trio is the perfect stocking stuffer for the entire family—the non-toxic, natural ingredients are safe for the littlest one at home, while still luxurious for mom and dad. Plus, they soothe and prevent dry lips (a winter must have!).
3. Give a practical gift with a twist, like this World Centric compostable toothbrush and travel case made from plant-derived materials instead of icky petroleum-based plastics.
5. Inspire imaginative play and healthy eating with these adorable wooden vegetables from Plan Toys.
6. Sweet treats are the best, especially these yummy Mast Brothers Chocolate Bars that are handcrafted in Brooklyn. (P.S. If you’re in the New York area, check out the Mast Brothers tasting room and learn how this American craft chocolate is made!)
7. Little boys and girls will love to get out and play thanks to The Jump Rope Girls’ custom Lisa style jump ropes, which are sure to last for years.
8. After indulging during the holidays, a Whole Foods Market Gift Card is the perfect jump start for eating well during the new year.
What creative stocking stuffers have you found this year?
Everyone loves to surprise their friends, family, and colleagues with a unique gift that speaks to who they are and what they love. So whether you’re still searching for the perfect gift or you’re a last-minute shopper, we’ve got you covered. Check out our great selection of holiday finds for your big bro, little sis, best friend, or boss.
1. Most people love the ability to get exactly what they want and need, so spoil them with an Honest Gift Card that allows the recipient to pick and choose her favorite natural and, of course, beautiful products. It’s the ultimate in flexibility and personalization!
2. Who doesn’t know a chocolate lover? John & Kira’s Every Flavor Chocolates are award-winning for a reason—the makers carefully hand select the ingredients from sustainable artisan food growers, small family farms, and urban gardens including those at city schools!
3. Start a conversation and a party with the Blik “Easy Steps” floor decal—it’s a great unexpected hostess gift.
4. For the friend who loves to chill, the On the Rocks Set hand-crafted from granite stones collected on New England beaches are ideal for keeping drinks cool…and will save him on time, water, and diluted spirits.
5. What would make a seasoned entertainer smile more than a yummy crudité and cheese plate? AHeirloom’s cutting board shaped like her home state, which is made to order from 100% rapidly renewable bamboo!
6. Created by emerging designers, Mind the Chap’s Stash Herringbone iPad case perfectly marries the best of menswear and tech style for the traveling business buddy in your life.
7. Your beauty-loving BFF or your mother-in-law who needs a little pampering after babysitting your little ones will love these luxury eco-friendly soaps made extra-special by the personalized monogram.
8. Because this is a favorite at the Honest office, everyone would love to get this easy and fun KBBK Kombucha Home Brew Kit so they can make the delicious and healthy drink when away from work.
What are you getting your friends, family, and colleagues this season?