My kids and I love Halloween and getting creative with decorations and costumes. As a pediatric nurse, though, I always have safety on the brain to make sure the fun won’t be ruined by injury. Continue reading as I share the most common safety concerns that arise with Halloween and give simple and safe solutions for a holiday that is a guaranteed treat.
Safe Pumpkin Carving
One of my favorite times of year is when we visit the pumpkin patch and pick out our Halloween pumpkins. Our injury prevention team at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles created step-by-step videos for safe pumpkin carving. Check it out!
Halloween Lights and Electronic Decorations
Festive lights set the mood for getting everyone in spirit of Halloween. When purchasing lights, extension cords, and other electronic decorations, buy items that are UL-listed — this means the product underwent safety testing in a lab approved by the United States federal agency Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Use lights and decorations meant for outdoor use, which is usually stated on the packaging. If you put “indoor” lights or decorations outside, wet weather increases the risk of electric shock and fire. If you’re not sure if lights or decorations are rated for indoor or outdoor use, just check the color-coded holographic UL mark on the product’s package.
Whether your decorations are brand-new or used, inspect all lights, electronic decorations, and extension cords for wear and tear before using as your Halloween décor. If you can repair the damage (i.e., broken bulbs replaced), do not use the item until the you’ve made the fix. Click here for more safety tips related to lights and electronic decorations.
Fake Spider Webs
When assembled correctly, fake spider webs look and feel pretty real — spooky! Three tips to consider when using fake spider webs in your Halloween décor:
For many kids, Halloween costumes are the highlight of the holiday. Here are some tips for your child’s costume:
Halloween is fun for families, especially when safety comes first. My sons and I have a great time, and I hope you enjoy Halloween by letting your imagination run wild and free!
Robert offers helpful tips for making sure there is proper venting in your child’s costume mask. Visit CHLA and WeTreatKidsBetter.org to learn more!
Welcome home baby with the #ShowUsYourBump Giveaway hosted by our friends at Freshly Picked. They’re showering one winner with a suite of maternity and new baby must-haves. In addition to taking home three Honest bundles, the winner will receive 4 pairs of Freshly Picked moccasins, 2 Solly Baby wraps, a Puj tub, and a brand new crib from The Land of Nod!
Simply hop over to Freshly Picked for complete giveaway details and learn how to enter by sharing a picture of your bump — we’d also love to see adoption and proud papa images too — or reposting this image on Instagram. Go here to enter now through September 11, 2013 at 9 am PST.
Like you, we often worry if our young children are getting the right balance of healthy foods, vitamins, and minerals — especially if our little ones have picky palates or they’ve taken a vacation from eating well. And we know just how difficult it can be to feed kiddos who don’t like any fruits or veggies. You have to rely on your ninja chef skills and sneak in the good stuff where they least expect it.
That’s why we developed our whole-food based Baby & Toddler Multi Powder—so you can breathe a sigh of relief and know that your smallest family members are getting the nutrition they need despite their aversion to anything fresh or green. The formula is made with 22 essential vitamins and minerals from 31 organic fruits and veggies, not to mention key antioxidants, superfoods, and amino acids. And the individual packages are easy to mix into food and drinks. Trust us, even your pickiest eater won’t know how many organic beets, carrots, or kale he is eating!
1. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so dish up Christopher Gavigan’s favorite morning meal (his kids love it!). Using an organic goat’s milk yogurt, create a parfait by sprinkling it with ground flax seed, pomegranate seeds, DHA fish oil, bee pollen, and the Baby & Toddler Multi Powder. Christopher encourages you to mix up the toppings throughout the week. Consider trying chia and buckwheat, organic homemade granola, in-season berries, and more.
2. Mix it into your homemade baby food and try these great Honest recipes from Catherine McCord of Weelicious. Or, if your child is older, swirl it into a powerhouse smoothie.
3. Fuel their brains at school by seamlessly mixing the powder with a nut butter and pairing it with a banana for a tasty sandwich or wrap. If your kids are addicted to dipping food into condiments, blend the powder in hummus or guacamole and serve it with organic baby carrots for a healthy snack.
4. While the powder is not made to be mixed with hot foods (we’re talking straight from the oven or stove), you can incorporate it with marinara or cheese sauce for pasta once they’ve cooled down to a safe-for-eating temperature.
5. Improve sweet treats by folding the powder into no-bake cookies. And help them go down, while building healthy bodies, by mixing the powder with breast milk, formula, milk of choice, or 100% natural juice.
Get to the head of the class with these great back to school essentials! Enter our giveaway and your preschool-to-college-bound kiddos will be all set with supplies (we think they’re so cool, you may want to borrow them too):
1. Start school on a healthy foot and keep germs at bay with Honest Hand Sanitizer Spray.
2. Our kid’s multi chewables will boost your little ones’ immunity, enhance focus, support brain health, and help them be their absolute best at school.
3. Perfect for tucking into backpacks, Honest Travel Wipes will ensure a quick clean up before lunch or after recess.
4. Avoid lunchtime waste with Erin Condren’s reusable and customizable lunchbox (it’s BPA and phthalate free!).
5. This classic daypack from Topo will look equally cool whether sported at junior high school or on a college campus.
6. Stellar Baby’s eco-friendly and stylish Deco Fan Sky Tote can be used as a lunch, book, or gym bag.
7. Have fun finishing back to school shopping with a $100 gift card from Oilily.
8. The versatile Hudson+Bleecker Navy Avion Case and Pouch can be filled with anything and everything from pencils to erasers to lotion to lip balm and tucked in your backpack.
9. You and your teen may fight over who gets to use this 100% vegan Hudson+Bleecker Isabelline Nouveau Tote thanks to its green chic style.
To enter to win this Back 2 School Giveaway, simply enter a comment by using the Rafflecopter entry form below telling us how you’re honestly going green this school year. You also have the option (although not required) to earn two bonus entries by liking our Facebook page and subscribing to our blog. No purchase is necessary to enter to win. This giveaway is only open to U.S. residents 18 years and older. The giveaway will run until 11:59 pm PST Sunday, August 25th. One winner will be chosen at random. Read the complete giveaway rules here to participate.