Because creating a safe and healthy environment for our children is what inspired the start of The Honest Company, we naturally wanted our office to reflect this ideal. So when we moved to our new headquarters, we made it our decorating mission to create a space that is inspiring, inviting, and family friendly.
To make our guests and employees who have babies and toddlers feel at home, we created a soothing nursery. Co-Founder Jessica Alba and The Land of Nod teamed up to design a comfortable space where moms can find a calm refuge within the active workplace, babies can be fed and changed, and infants can safely play and rest alongside their parents. They struck a balance by using different textures, patterns, and surfaces in a complementary color scheme of metallics and Honest teal to create a space that feels airy, relaxing, yet still cozy.
Of course, our little sanctuary also needed to be safe and healthy without compromising on design. Here are five tips we followed when creating a nursery that is both eco-friendly and stylish:
1. Sick of that new paint smell? It’s actually harmful chemicals off-gassing, so use no-VOC paint to avoid inhaling any nasty stuff after a fresh coat goes up. We used Mythic Paint, which is a zero-VOC line and comes in a many fresh colors.
2. Consider skipping wall-to-wall carpet because it usually off-gasses chemicals from glue and synthetic fibers. Instead, look for natural fiber area rugs or try FLOR modular carpet tiles made from renewable and recyclable materials. We created a customized checkerboard pattern using various shades of grey and teal tiles.
3. We know changing diapers can be a messy business, so one way to reduce the yuck factor and your baby’s exposure to toxins is to use a changing pad made with polyester, down, wool, or cotton — all which are less likely to contain harmful flame retardants that have been linked to endocrine disruption and certain cancers (avoid any that are made with polyurethane foam). We love the organic options from Naturepedic.
4. Mix old furniture with new when furnishing your space. Jessica loves to unearth unique pieces on Craigslist and at flea markets, which she can makeover using eco-friendly materials. It’s an affordable and environmentally sound choice that gives a room a lot of personality.
5. Because babies and toddlers are a significantly more vulnerable to chemical exposure — not to mention they put everything in their mouths — outfit the nursery with the safest and healthiest essentials, including natural and non-toxic diapers, wipes, body care products, and teethers.
How would you create a safe and stylish kid’s space? Let us know by entering our Feather Your Nest Sweepstakes now through November 1, 2013. Together with The Land of Nod and a collective of design-savvy, inspirational bloggers, we’re inviting readers to share their entries via this Facebook app. One random winner will be chosen to receive one year of all Honest Bundles + a $1500 gift certificate for The Land of Nod (over $3300 in goodies) to create or makeover your child’s nursery, kids’ rooms, or play rooms. Happy pinning!
What I love most about working at Honest is the people and atmosphere. It’s either the sheer amount of vitamin D people are getting from the sun, or everyone is naturally happy. Sometimes we do need adult supervision, but being able to grab a quick game of ping pong while trying to work out a tough problem and talk it over, go out to lunch to try new restaurants, volunteering to pick fruit, or getting all dressed up for a fun BBQ is awesome. Not to mention, people have a great sense of humor here, and you can always have a good laugh. Warning: my laugh might carry across the building…
Can I pick two? The Honest Wipes have saved me on a couple of occasions. One time I was at work and spilled something on myself (okay this hasn’t just happened one time, but bear with me). I grabbed our wipes and the spill came out. I didn’t even have to use stain remover, although that did come in handy on another work day. The body oil is also great, whether you have some dry skin you want to clean up or need a massage — and the orange scent of it is a nice accent. Speaking of which – Mike, we could totally use another masseuse coming to the office!
There are quite a few good memories, but being part of the crew of the Black Butterfly and commandeering the Honest HQ for the a BBQ our team helped to coordinate with Sean “Morgan like the Rum” Kane and Oleg “The Pillager” Pylnev probably takes the cake. In addition to the pirate costumes, accents, swagger, and flags, we had 20 pounds of oysters from Snow Creek Shellfish & Fish, grilled lamb and vegetables, two types of jambalaya, corn bread, and pirate cookies and booty for everyone.
I buy fresh produce and use it to juice, and while I did survive a juice cleanse (that should really be a t-shirt), I don’t know if I’ll be giving up food again any time soon. I also bike every day to work and almost everywhere else I go, as it helps get in some exercise while also acting as transportation. Then once at work, you’ll probably see me hop on a treadmill desk in the afternoon while writing some code. Two birds with one stone twice a day, isn’t too bad!
Is it too nerdy to say I’d be working on something? I really like to learn and build things, so I’d probably be reading a book (currently reading The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant – trying to get back to the dense material) or coding a side project to learn some new tech — I really want to spend some more time with Angular.js. If it’s a Saturday morning, I’d take a bike ride down to the beach to enjoy the nice SoCal weather or go on a hike. Kayaking in Marina Del Rey and beach volleyball at Hermosa are on the to-do list.
We love sharing with our Honest family — and that includes bikes! We provide bicycles (and helmets, of course!) for employees to use on lunch and coffee breaks to peddle around Santa Monica. So you can enjoy your rides as much as we do, consider the Brooks England Cambium Saddle. The seat is made of natural rubber, organic cotton canvas, and a frame built for life-long comfort and easy use.