Let’s face it: Summer has been great, but how do we restore? Our bodies are practically begging us for a little rejuvenation after countless days spent soaking up the sun, surf, and sand. So we’re sharing five easy, affordable natural hair and skin care treatments that will leave you searching for excuses to pamper yourself long after vacation.
1. Ditch harsh hair products. Summer swimming gets you in shape, but can leave your locks lifeless. To revive color and shine, repair hair with a clarifying shampoo and conditioning treatment. But before you soak your strands, check the ingredients. While it’s believed conventional shampoos and leave-in conditioners help solve hair disasters, the reality is some can make them worse. Their harsh chemicals — especially sulfates — can add to the stress of already damaged hair (the last thing we need after a long summer!).
Don’t worry, though, you don’t need to get rid of hair helpers completely. Opt for natural alternatives like Honest’s shampoo, conditioner, and detangler — all free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, dyes, and formaldehyde. And try easy at-home remedies. Comb a clarifying solution (1 cup of water + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar) through hair and rinse to remove build up. Make a conditioning hair mask by mixing 2 mashed avocados with 1 cup of olive oil. Simply apply to ends, avoiding roots. Wrap in a towel and bliss out in the sun for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, rinse out with cool water for extra silky hair.
2. Out with the old, in with the new. The compound effects of heat, humidity, and sunscreen may have turned that glow into oily skin. But now that summer is winding down, the desire for a matte complexion doesn’t mean you should skimp on the SPF. Instead, swap your pool-side products and use a daily sunscreen stick with a soft finish that blends in whether bare faced or under makeup.
3. Amp up the moisture.The only way to uncover glowing skin is to remove the signs of summer by exfoliating dead skin, encouraging cell turnover and allowing moisturizers to sink in and work their magic. A natural DIY sugar scrub used 2-3 times a week will do the trick. Next, use products with healthy oils to restore your hair and skin’s natural balance. Try adding a few drops of organic body oil to your body lotion or hair styling cream and apply it fresh out of the shower to lock in moisture. (Want more awesome uses for body oil? We have ten surprising ways you can indulge in TLC at home.)
4. Pucker up to sweet hydration. Honey has natural antibacterial, soothing agents that will heal cracked lips caused by heat, dryness, and dehydration. To cure your chapped summer lips, rub a few drops of organic honey on them and let it dry. For added protection, apply a thin layer of healing or organic lip balm — their natural protective qualities will seal in the moisturizing benefits of the honey.
5. Maintenance is key. Now that you feel as good as new, make a promise to continue the self-care! Even if there’s only time to treat yourself once a month, incorporating a few of these steps into your routine counts. Before you know it, your progress will pay off and you’ll be ready to jump into next summer damage-free.
What are your summer-into-fall beauty tips?