Today, June 8th, is World Oceans Day — a concept first proposed in 1992 as a way to celebrate our oceans and raise awareness about the crucial role it plays in our lives. The ocean is the heart of our planet, and it’s our responsibility to protect it! Yet, despite efforts, the Natural Resources Defense Fund (NRDC) reports that about 80% of marine litter originates on land, with the majority of that being plastic pollution. Working to draw attention to plastic pollution, specifically that caused by plastic water bottles, our friends at Consurfvation have designed a product that’s both stylish and sustainable.
Each Consurfvation tee is made of 100% recycled plastic water bottles. They also get stamped with how many bottles were recycled for its production, so you can see the direct impact that your purchase has. For instance, this women’s long sleeve tee was made from 16 recycled bottles — so, trash that would likely have ended up in landfills or our oceans gets turned into a super soft tee, instead! Take a look at how the process works below:
Consurfvation has aligned itself with 4 major ocean awareness organizations so that proceeds from the recycled tees work towards the bigger picture of preserving our oceans. Even though recycling efforts have made gains over the last couple decades, there is still major room for improvement. Check out 5 things you can do help to keep our oceans clean:
- Reduce the amount of plastic your family uses. Bring your own bags to the grocery store, switch to a reusable water bottle, and shop for products that use recycled materials.
- Recycle whenever possible. When you do use plastic, make sure to recycle it after it can no longer be reused. This is the easiest way to keep that plastic from polluting our oceans!
- Take responsibility for how much you and your family are contributing to plastic pollution.
- Participate in a beach cleanup. It’s amazing what an impact just a few hours of collecting trash can have, and it’s fun!
- Educate your kids so they have the same appreciation for the ocean and it’s importance. With hopes of inspiring ocean education, Google Maps just released some underwater imagery that let’s you explore the sea, wherever you are.
In honor of World Oceans Day, Honest has teamed up with Consurfvation for a giveaway! 3 lucky readers will win a Consurfvation tee of choice, plus an Honest Sunscreen set (which includes our sunscreen, sunscreen spray, and sunscreen stick) to keep your skin protected this summer.
To enter to win this World Oceans Day Giveaway, simply enter a comment by using the Rafflecopter entry form below telling us what you love most about the ocean. You also have the option (although not required) to earn two bonus entries by subscribing to our blog and following our Pinterest page. No purchase is necessary to enter to win. This giveaway is only open to U.S. residents 18 years and older. The giveaway will run until 11:59 pm PST Friday, June 12th. Three winners will be chosen at random. Click here to read the complete giveaway rules.