The ladies behind There’s a Beetroot in my Cake are back with a brand new cookbook — There’s a Carrot in my Piñata — full of happy, sparkly and nourishing whole foods for little people’s parties. Today we’re thrilled to share a delightful hummus and cracker snack that’s perfect for the holiday season! Give it a whirl and be sure to check back for more fun, family-friendly favorites coming to the blog in the next few months.
The nutrient-packed beet gives this amazing hummus its fun flavor and color! When paired with these pumpkin crisps — full of nuts, seeds and fresh pumpkin — this super snack packs a powerful punch of essential vitamins, minerals and fats. It’s perfect for the holiday season, but feel free to enjoy all year long.
Makes 1⅓ cups
2 ¼ cups baby beets, roasted (~3 small beets)
1 cup chickpeas, cooked
Juice of one half lemon
1 garlic, crushed
3 tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper
¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Line a tray with parchment paper and lay out beetroot (without skins). Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20 – 25 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a high-speed food processor combine all ingredients (except olive oil) until you have a smooth paste. Lastly slowly drizzle oil into dip, mix again and season to taste.
- Will keep in the fridge for up to one week.
PUMPKIN CRISP BREAD
Makes twenty-four small squares
⅔ cups pumpkin, steamed and mashed
equates to one large wedge of a medium pumpkin
¾ cup rolled quinoa
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Line a tray with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Place the dough onto baking paper and spread out evenly and as thin as possible using the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cut into squares straight after taking the bread out of the oven and allow to cool before eating.
~Judy Moosmueller & Jennifer Leckey, There’s a Beetroot in my Cake
There’s a Beetroot in my Cake presents everyday dishes that are stripped back, free from artificial ingredients, and turned into delicious healthy alternatives. Family favorites with a twist.