What better way to treat mom than with breakfast in bed. These lemon ricotta pancakes — courtesy of friend (and new mama!) Dzung Lewis of Honeysuckle — are full of flavor and delightfully easy to whip up. Try them alone or topped with some of your favorite seasonal fruit.
LEMON RICOTTA PANCAKES
1 cup ricotta cheese
3 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp whole milk
2 tbsp sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
1 cup flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, egg yolks, milk, sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in the melted butter and flour until just combined.
- In another large bowl with a clean whisk, beat the eggs whites until they hold firm peaks.
- Stir ¼ of the whipped whites into the ricotta mixture, then fold in the rest of the whites. Melt a pat of butter on a griddle or in a large skillet over medium heat, and when the pan is hot, drop blobs of batter (I use a very heaping soup spoon, about 1/4 cup) onto the pan.
- Cook until they look slightly dry around the top edges, and are golden brown on the bottom, 1–2 minutes, then flip and cook on the second side for another couple of minutes.
- Place the pancakes on a platter in a 200ºF oven to keep them warm while you cook the rest of the pancakes, adding a small pat of butter to coat the bottom of the pan between batches. Serve the pancakes with fresh berries (or other seasonal fruit) and maple syrup.
Honest Tip: Extra pancakes reheat beautifully after being refrigerated, simply toast them in a pan or in a warm oven until heated through.
~ Dzung Lewis, Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle is a food and lifestyle YouTube channel that showcases personal style expressed through food, beauty tips, and home entertaining ideas. Make sure to follow along on Instagram!
How are you celebrating Mother’s Day this year? Share with us in the comments below.