Our friend in all things kitchen, Kristin O’Connor, is back this week with a Halloween snack that’s not of this world…
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin lattes — at this point we’re all pretty well versed on the pumpkin treats that this time of year brings. But what about just plain pumpkin?
A great source of beta-carotene, antioxidants, and fiber — but also incredibly low in calories — the health benefits of pumpkin are plentiful! This particular snack recipe combines nutrient-packed pumpkin pieces with a gooey almond butter dip, and the results are killer.
The best part is how incredibly SIMPLE these pumpkin ghosts are to whip up. Plus, who doesn’t love leftovers? Cut your scraps into bite sized chunks and keep them for future meals. Toss toasted pumpkin seeds into a fall greens salad, roast pumpkin pieces with red onion for a seasonal side dish, or blend pumpkin scraps into your next fresh pumpkin soup.
1 sugar pumpkin
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon agave
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and wash pumpkin thoroughly.
2. Carefully slice the top off your sugar pumpkin, then cut the pumpkin in half from top to bottom revealing the seeds inside.
3. Spoon out seeds until you have scraped a clean, smooth surface along the inside of your pumpkin.
4. Cut each half in half again and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon; then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and slightly browned along the edges.
5. While the pumpkin bakes, prepare the almond butter dip. Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and (very slowly) add 2 tablespoons hot water, stirring well to combine. The dip will become thin and viscous.
6. Once the pumpkin is done, let it cool for a few minutes just until it is cool enough to touch.
7. Press your favorite Halloween cookie cutters into the pumpkin, flesh side up, and push shapes through. Place on a serving dish next to your dip and get your snack on! Perfect Halloween (or anytime) treat.
– Kristin O’Connor
Kristin is a published author and private chef focused on encouraging optimal wellness. The Kristin O’Connor brand of gluten-free, eco-friendly products is a true culmination of her passion for health and devotion to philanthropy, bearing a mantra as wholesome and pleasing as her food!
How do you like your pumpkin? Share in the comments section below!