Fourth of July calls for all sorts of festive treats and we’ve got something sweet for everyone. Today we’re thrilled to share this deep dish vegan cheesecake from Julie Piatt’s new book, This Cheese is Nuts! For more naturally colored treats, try these patriotic popsicles, firecracker fruit snacks, or star spangled skewers.
DEEP DISH CLASSIC CHEESECAKE
A true divinity of flavor that will put a smile on every face at your table.
2 cups raw cashews
1 teaspoon coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
8 Medjool dates, soaked and pitted
4 cups raw cashews
One 15-ounce can of coconut milk
1/2 cup cocoa butter
1 cup premium light agave
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and the inside scraped out
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 pints fresh raspberries, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a deep 6-inch springform pan with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Roast the cashews on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven for 8 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the cashews and pulse six times or until the nuts are mealy in texture.
- Add the shredded coconut and salt and pulse three times to incorporate well.
- With the motor running, add the pitted dates one at a time and blend until the mixture balls up on the side of the bowl.
- Transfer the crust mixture from the food processor to the prepared springform pan. Press the mixture down with your hands so that it covers the bottom of the pan evenly.
- In the pitcher of a Vitamix, place the cashews, coconut milk, cocoa butter, agave, vanilla bean, and lemon juice. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the filling mixture into the prepared springform pan on top of the crust and place it in the freezer overnight.
- Thaw for 30 minutes before serving. Remove the springform sides and decorate with the fresh raspberries. Begin in the center and place them in a circular pattern, spiraling out until the entire top is covered. Serve.
Reprinted from This Cheese is Nuts: Delicious Vegan Cheese at Home by arrangement Avery, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © 2017, Julie Piatt.