Today we’re sharing our final dairy-favorite from Julie Piatt’s, This Cheese is Nuts, and we’re pretty sure it’s one that the whole family will love. With fall right around the corner, it’s makes for the perfect weeknight dinner or leftover-based lunch. (And if you missed them, make sure to also check out her Artichoke Dip and Cheesecake.)
MAC AND CHEESE WITH GARLIC SPINACH
Garlic spinach brings life to this comfort food staple.
1 cup raw cashews
2 cups fresh spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ shallot, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup chickpea miso paste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more as needed
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for a garnish
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 package gluten-free pasta
Place the cashews in filtered water in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Wash the spinach in a salad spinner.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and brown. Add the garlic and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the spinach and sauté until it is wilted and infused with the garlic and onion.
- Drain the cashews. In the pitcher of a blender, place the cashews, miso, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, pepper, nutritional yeast, and 1 cup boiling hot water.
- Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the gluten-free pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with hot water.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving dish. Pour the cashew cheese sauce over the pasta and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Arrange the spinach in a mound on top.
- Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
Reprinted from This Cheese is Nuts: Delicious Vegan Cheese at Home by arrangement Avery, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © 2017, Julie Piatt.