Wintry weather makes us crave stick-to-your-ribs food. So, we’re always on the look out for hearty meals that fit the bill, but don’t come with unwanted and unhealthy extras. Our new favorite recipe for butternut squash salad incorporates simple flavors that are tasty, seasonal, and satisfying like comfort food. Plus, it makes the perfect meatless meal.
- 2 cups bread of choice, cubed
- 1 organic butternut squash, cubed
- 1 bag organic arugula
- 1 organic red onion, sliced
- 1 cup organic walnuts, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic apple cider
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sage, thyme, salt & pepper to taste
1. To prepare the croutons, cube any type of bread (we used wheat French bread). Mix the cubes in a bowl with olive oil, thyme, sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread the bread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake on 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
3. Peel the butternut squash and then chop it into cubes.
4. Sauté the butternut squash in olive oil until it is soft on medium heat for 10-20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by mixing olive oil, apple cider, and apple cider vinegar along with chopped sage, thyme, and salt and pepper. Adjust the dressing’s ratio to taste.
6. Rinse and dry arugula. Mix with sliced red onion, chopped walnuts, cooked butternut squash, and shaved Parmesan cheese (just enough to cover the salad).
7. Add just enough dressing to lightly cover the salad and toss.
Sign up for free at Honest.com and get $10 off your first purchase only using code Squash10OFF. Limited to one per customer. Coupon code expires May 1, 2013.